; Tangled Up In Blue: Finding Mozart

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Finding Mozart

Scientists may have found the skull of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart but they're not telling until this Sunday during a special on Mozart commerating his 250th birthday that will be later this month. The skull has been believed to be Mozart's for more than a century but DNA tests always came back inconclusive until now. For those familiar with the life of Mozart, this would be a pretty big discovery. During his life Mozart, unlike many of his now-famous contemporaries, had enough recognized talent to have lived quite finacially well off, however a roaring ego and a wild lifestyle left him penniless by the time of his very early death (which is a good story in and of itself). As a result he was buried with little ceremony and perhaps in the same grave as other bodies leaving his final home a bit of a mystery to those who are interested in that sort of thing.

A few years back I had the opportunity to visit his home (in life) in Salzburg, Austria. A fascinating place to visit and walk through, and mind-blowing when you try to fully comprehend that you are walking across the same floors that such a musical genius walked across a little over 200 years ago. If you get the chance to go I'd recommend it and if you happen to visit the gift shop and see a red silk tie with the music for Eine Kleine Nachtmusik printed on it, I misplaced mine and would be forever grateful for a replacement *wink*.

5 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

"...a roaring ego and a wild lifestyle left him penniless by the time of his very early death."

Sounds like Mozart was the 18th century version of a rock star.

7:23 AM  
Blogger dolphin said...

Yeah, I'd say that's probably pretty accurate. Shame too, because if he'd calmed down a bit it's possible that he might have lived past 35.

If you watch the movie Amadeus, it's a fairly accurate depiction of Mozart from everything I've ever learned about the man. Good movie too.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Karlo said...

Salzburg's beautiful.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't seen Amadeus, but it's #4 on my list of movies to see. Yes, I have a list. Stop laughing at me.

I have a hard time listening to anyone from central europe- the sound titles always sound angry and scare me.
My friend: Hey Mish let's check out this new CD!
Me: K, what is it?
My friend: EIN UNTER IZEN SEIG HEIL

I would love to visit Austria though. Vienna's #4 on my list of places to visit.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got lots of lists don't ya Roma. :)

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home