; Tangled Up In Blue: the top then songs that pop into my mind when i am running the leaf blower

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

the top then songs that pop into my mind when i am running the leaf blower

1. “Love Removal Machine” by the Cult. I replace the word “love” with “leaf” and it becomes quite the theme song.
2. “Blow It Out” by the Features. This one is self-explanatory.
3. “Blow Wind Blow” by Tom Waits. As is this one.
4. “Scotland, the Brave”. A good leaf blower begins to sound like bagpipes after a while. However, this song generally gets me a little choked up, and that is not the sort of state one wants to be in while manual laboring.
5. “It’s A Long Way To the Top (If You Wanna to Rock ‘n’ Roll)” by AC/DC. Again, it’s the bagpipes. But this one makes me want to rock, and that is a perfectly acceptable state for lawn maintenance.
6. “Alone Again, Naturally” by Gilbert O’Sullivan. I can’ explain this one. Perhaps leaf blowing is a lonelier task than I realize.
7. “Mr. Blue Sky” by ELO. It is hard to be outside in decent weather for long periods of time without this one popping into your head.
8. “Can’t You See” by the Marshall Tucker Band. It was in the movie Blow. I know it is a stretch, but it really does pop into my mind while leaf blowing. I don’t have to explain myself to you.
9. “The Ballad of Curtis Loew” by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I eventually want to think of a Kurtis Blow song, but I do not know any and instead have this Skynyrd classic running through my head with “Sing me a song, Kurtis Blow” as its chorus.
10. “Frankenstein” by the Edgar Winter Group. This is really a song for all occasions, and it is rarely far from my mind.

8 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

Heh. Rex, you are something else.

BTW, here is a Kurtis blow lyric for ya. Feel free to use it the next time you are leaf blowing. I run over the leaves with the mulching mower myself.

"They think I'm rich because my name is Kurtis Blow. I can't stand it. I can't take it no mo'"

9:01 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

You forgot "Blowin' In The Wind." Also, may I humbly submit "In A Gadda Da Vida", as I would think it truly applies to anyone in the gardening industry.

Oh, and the part of your mind that plays "Frankenstein" on an endless loop is a scareeee place.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

"They think I'm rich because my name is Kurtis Blow. I can't stand it. I can't take it no mo'"

Maybe I don't want Kurtis Blow to sing me a song. Nevermind, Kurt.

I know it is probably wrong to admit this on a Dylan titled site, but I can't stand "Blowin' In The Wind". I much prefer Electric Dylan to Folkie Dylan.

(Rex ducks in order to dodge a number of chai lattes thrown in his direction. He then surfaces relatively unscathed. Luckily for him, the constant playing of "Frankenstein" in his head gives him a cat-like swiftness that can be summoned and implemented at a moment's notice for any given action sequence).

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How 'bout
Cracker's "It Ain't Gonna Suck Itself"? Oh, wait, that's for the vacuum cleaner post. My bad.

9:54 AM  
Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

You like the Features? I didn't know that you were "down" as the kids say.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

Bad Sarcastro! Bad!

I do like me some Features, Fritz. We share a number of mutual friends, and I have always found them to be a quiet but friendly lot.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

Aren't the Features (old lady moment) that band that was on Veronica Mars a couple weeks ago. "No Sleep Tonight"? Or was that the Faders?

Some "F" band.

I am so bloody old.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

It wasn't the Features. I'm not up on the kids and all their rock and/or roll, but it was probably that other "F" band.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home