; Tangled Up In Blue: Why I love Napster

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Why I love Napster



I love Napster because I can rent all the music I care to listen to for $9.95 on three PCs.

And it's a big reason why I don't own a iPod (yet).

I sit at home working on the PC so I can fire up Napster, create playlists and listen away during the day. At night or offsite, I can work on my laptop with the headphones plugged in.

The main reason and I think where the real value comes in with the Napster service is the song lookup. I was watching an old episode of Alias and like most TV shows, there's a song that closes out the episode that ties in all the emotions. Sydney just built a baby crib and Michael, the father is gone... so the background song playing has a key word of "water" - So I fire up Napster, search for "water" and narrow the choice down to "The Water Is Wide" by Karla Bonoff

THE WATER IS WIDE

The water is wide, I can't cross over
and neither I have wings to fly
give me a boat that can carry two
and both shall row - my love and I

Now love is gentle, and love is kind
the sweetest flower when first it's new
but love grows old, and waxes cold
and fades away like morning dew

There is a ship, she sails the sea
she's loaded deep as deep can be
but not as deep as the love I'm in
I know not how I sink or swim

The water is wide, I can't cross over
and neither I have wings to fly
give me a boat that can carry two
and both shall row - my love and I
and both shall row - my love and I

With Napster, I can select all the titles and listen to them all (full length - not a snippet) and toss out the versions I don't care for. (I kept 64 versions of The Water is Wide).

Naspter has allowed me to expand my musical tastes - I may hear a song on Lightning100, note the title and when I get home do a search. I've discovered music by Beth Orton, Dido, Sarah McLachlan, The Sundays while catching up on some new releases from artists that I use to listen to like EmmyLou Harris. There is also a listing of Billboard songs, so Napster is a great resource for oldies, the British Invasion, progressive rock - you will find what you're looking for. For a mere $9.95 a month, the value of having access to a 1.5 million song, mother of all iPods is a good value proposition.

The bummer is that Napster is not available for the Mac...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know much about Napster, but do you download the songs on your computer or are they saved on Napster's website?

6:37 AM  
Blogger Raizor's Edge said...

I can rate songs and hear new/different music based on what I rate on Yahoo's Launchcast. If you like a song, you can search for it and rate it so it'll get played frequently.

And, it's free. All you have to do is have a Yahoo account.

You can listen to my station -- if you dare. (G)

7:36 AM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

Glen points out the drawback to Napster, as I see it. You don't "own a copy" of the songs. If you ever let your Napster membership expire, all the music goes away. If you're not a collector/hoarder as I am, then that may work for you.

Me? I vastly prefer the iTunes model. Try, Buy, Keep.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Kerry Woo said...

Hi Glen,
The songs are stored on your PC (up to 3); they can be offline or even via MusicMatch, but mycropht is (always) right - the songs disappear if the subscription ends... what I like is that I can sample the full songs before I buy... and at .99 cents a pop, my preference is to listen to all I want, then buy the actual CD (with liner notes and case).

11:33 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

I still dig my file sharing (Etomi). Maybe I shouldn't have said that. BTW, its good to see some action on this website.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Justin Kreutzmann said...

I think any way music get to the people is good.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

I agree and apparantly your dad does also. Record companies don't though.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home