; Tangled Up In Blue: What Makes You Feel Good?

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

What Makes You Feel Good?

Well that's a loaded question. Actually I am talking about music here. What music makes you feel good? Is it Coltrane? Is it that High Lonesome Sound? How about Garcia? Nothing soothes my soul like the sound of Jerry Garcia's guitar. The man had the power to bring tears to my eyes.

Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of the Jimi Hendrix classic "Little Wing" is one of those records that actually causes me to pull the car over and feel it.

When I am down in the dumps, I play Bob Marley's song "Three Little Birds". That song reminds me not to worry about a thing because every little thing is going to be alright.

When I am feeling close to God, I play Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic". It is so good to know that when that foghorn blows, I will be coming home.

When I am feeling nostalgic about my youth when I was "working on mysteries without any clues", I like to hear Bob Seger's "Night Moves".

I can't tell you how many late nights I rode in my car alone listening to the BB King song "Hummingbird".

Whatever state of mind I have ever been in, and whatever emotion I have ever felt, there is a song for it. How about you?

7 Comments:

Blogger Raizor's Edge said...

Poco is the best feel-good band I've ever heard. Even when they're doing sad songs, the music makes me feel good. A Good Feelin' to Know, indeed!!

8:42 AM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Ornette Coleman makes me feel like making paintings.
Boozoo Chavis singing The Twist, makes me want to take my honey dancing tonight.
Santiago Jimenez playing a Mexican cumbia makes me smile
When I listen to Sun Ra, I know Space is the Place, and my bag is packed.
Johnny Cash, singing Cindy Cindy with Nick Cave stops me in my tracks
Handsome Ned, singing I've been everywhere, brings me back in time to the last show he played at Harbourfront, here in Toronto, before he checked out
When I Fall, by Steve Earle, knocks me on my ass.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

Man,Glen that's a hard question. There are so many songs for so many different moods.

I don't think I can narrow it down.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Isn't that true though?

5:30 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

"Blue Skies" or really anything off Eat a Peach by the Allman Brothers.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Rex, good taste in music there. That solo in "Blue Sky" is awesome.

9:26 PM  
Blogger John H said...

Sonny Rollins sax solo in Waiting for a Friend by the Stones.

That point in the song 'Silver Springs' by Fleetwood Mac when the full harmony parts kick in and Stevie is just wailing (good wailing!)

The version of 'Try a Little Tenderness' by Otis Redding on Otis Redding Live in Europe.

The chorus of 'Don't Fall on Me' by REM..great harmonies by Mike Mills.

Any and all of 'Radar Love' by Golden Earring - esp when they sing 'radios playing some forgotten song, Brenda Lee's coming on strong'..I grew up with the music of Brenda Lee (nashville's own).

'Surrender' by Cheap Trick. The chorus is just power pop heaven. The puns in the song are just too good.

'September Girls' - Big Star AND by the Bangles

8 Days a Week - Beatles - great guitar intro and sublime harmony

Dweller on the Threshold - Van the Man..when my dad was dying this song gave me great comfort because he could have been singing about my dad

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home