; Tangled Up In Blue: 65 IF

Sunday, October 09, 2005

65 IF

Today would have been John Lennon's 65th Birthday. I get this visual in my head of John on the computer. I think he would have loved the Internet. He would also be celebrating Sean's 30th birthday.

So, your favorite Lennon songs and why? Let's do both Beatles and solo.

With the Beatles:
In My Life--best love song EVER.
I'm Only Sleeping--Really overlooked gem on Revolver.
All You Need Is Love--First worldwide telecast. Historic. And, it's as true then as it was 2000 years ago as it is today and will be 2000 years from now.

Solo:
Imagine--How could this classic not be on the list?
Watching The Wheels--My personal favorite. Describes me, perfectly.
Working Class Hero--John had a lot of angst. Good way to channel it
Mother---John had a lot of pain, and never was it more evident than his literal primal screams for his Mother.
Nobody Told me--I LOVE this one. "There's UFOs over New York, and I ain't too surprised." Great rocker tune.
Across The Universe--Magical Jai Guru Devi Ohm (Glory To The Most High)
Mind Games-- Really underrated. "Some kind of Druid dude..." "Yes is the answer." Same message, but vastly different feel to it than others with same message.
Instant Karma--"How in the world you gonna see? Laughing at fools like me? Who are earth do you think you are? A Superstar? Well all right you are. But we all shine on...like the moon and the stars and the sun." And..."Instant Karma's gonna get you. Gonna slap you right in the face. Better get yourself together brother. Join the human race." Yep. That about says it all.

Okay. I am going to stop now. Let me hear some of yours!

7 Comments:

Blogger Stella said...

Happy Birthday, John!!!

(I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that thought about this today.)

Best John song with Beatles: She Said She Said. I'm Only Sleeping is a close second.

Solo: So so many. So I'm going to point out a rarity, Crippled Inside. All the ones listed above are wonderful, too, but I think this one shows who the real John was.

And man, he was brilliant. You have to figure he would have revolutionized the Internet in one way or another. He was just that kind of guy.

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beatles: "And Your Bird Can Sing"; A blistering guitar lick (for the mid-sixties) kicks off one of the best "why wasn't this a hit?" songs, ever.

Solo: "Stand By Me"; Was this included in the discussion of great cover songs a dozen posts ago? If not, it should have been.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Raizor's Edge said...

My favorite Lennon Beatles song would probably be "Norwegian Wood". Nothing like a good play on words.

Solo: "Whatever Gets You Thru the Night." Fun song and great sax solo.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

solo John Lennon- "Woman"

9:25 AM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

For reasons unknown to even me, I've always been highly partial to "The Ballad of John & Yoko".

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good pick, Kitty.

That reminds me of a favorite Lennon story. Paul and John played all the instruments on "Ballad of John & Yoko". Specifically, Paul played the drums. When John was asked if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world, he replied "He isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles".

5:23 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

That's freakin' hilarious. In all my Beatles reading, I have seen that one. John is the bomb.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home