; Tangled Up In Blue: Remember Then

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Remember Then

Everytime I hear the Bob Seger tune Night Moves, I can't help but smile. I always think back to a time when I was riding around those Alabama backroads with that "black haired beauty with big dark eyes" who had "points all her own sitting way up high, way up firm and high". Up in those hills "where the woods got heavy", out in the back seat of whatever old car I had at the time. No "we weren't in love, oh no, far from it", actually we were just "young and restless and bored".

I get chills at the end of that song. The music stops and Seger says these words,

"I awoke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Ain'’t it funny how the night moves
When you just don'’t seem to have as much to lose
Strange how the night moves
With autumn closing in"

In my mind I always replace the year 1962 with 1982 or even 1988, even though it doesn't rhyme. That song means so much to me now. More than it ever did back then.

Can you relate?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kat Coble said...

Can I ever?!

Seger and Mellencamp are the two Midwestern rockers of renown. Their music to me always sounds like the Michiana open roads, fields and open sky.

"We were just young and restless and bored was the story of my highschool life

Lately (at least the last four years) I've flipped over to 'Rock and Roll Never Forgets':

Sweet 16's turned 31...

11:15 PM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

The only way I can remember who I was dating when is by what song was playing in the background when...
I was on husband #1 when Night Moves hit in January of 77. Ex husband #1 used to sing that song to me. That song still sounds as great today as it did then.
I must admit, however, my favorite of his is "Shame on the Moon," which I believe was written by Rodney Crowell.
"Until you've been beside a man, you don't know what he wants. You don't know if he cries at night, you don't know if he don't."
I love the brutal honesty of those lyrics.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

Okay. I need to be reading this site more.

I'm of the age where my dad actually partied with Bob Seger in high school (The Detroit days), but I will say, some of my favorite early high school memories were listing to this exact song on vinyl when I would go to Jag's (the girl) after school.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home