; Tangled Up In Blue: What This Website Is All About.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

What This Website Is All About.

As most of you know, I have been operating a political blog since January 1, 2005. I love to talk about politics, but in spite of what some of you may gather from reading Nashville Truth. I don't hate those who disagree with me. In fact, I think most people on both sides are very sincere in their beliefs and most are really good people. Being that I am a libertarian/conservative, I even find myself agreeing with many liberals on social issues. But when it comes to the issue of capitalism and the free market, our differences sometimes cause some very heated discussions. But I still don't think that we are all that different. If we really were to ever sit down and talk about something other than politics and religion, we might actually find out that we liked each other. That is what this website is all about, having people who see things from a totally different point of view, sit around and discuss something that we might have in common.

I want to invite everyone who normally blogs about political issues, but also loves music, to be a part of this website. That is right, anybody, regardless of whether you are a conservative, liberal, libertarian, green, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Atheist, Hindu, or whatever. Yes, I know some of you may think that this is a silly idea and that I must have fallen back into my drugged out hippie years, but please just give it a shot. You might find out that we all have more in common than we think we do. The only stipulation though is that you do not use this website to discuss politics. We all do enough of that on our regular websites. Of course, if you talk about a political musician, that is okay. I would just hate to see this friendly place turn into a place of debate. Spiritual talk concerning music is permitted and encouraged, but nothing specifically religious. In other words, nothing preachy that might start an argument.

So please email me and let me know if you are interested in posting on this website. Remember that all are welcome, even if you don't like me personally. This website is not about me or anyone else. It's just about music. Whatever type of music you want to talk about, you are welcome to discuss it here. So please, drop me an email.

23 Comments:

Blogger Kat Coble said...

I'd love to, especially since you've named it after the alltime best Dylan song. Ever.
Ever.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Cool. I will send both of you some invites.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Karlo said...

Yes, Dylan is cool. I'm confused by the first entry Glen. Do you want people to post about politics or not?

6:49 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

I will go back and make it clearer. What I was hoping for was people who normally talk passionately about politics to not talk about politics on this website. Kind of like a place for the political firebrands to hang out with each other, after the debates are over. It is just that I have relatives and friends who I love to hang out with and I have a lot in common with, but we disagree on political issues.

Would you like to join up? Let me know if it is something you would like to do.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Great Roma. I will send you the invite from Blogger.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Romablog, I need an email address to send you the add a member invite from blogger. Email me.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Here I am! Sorry I am a bit late! Katherine, one of Dylan's finest, but really hard to call one of his one of the best. Hmmmm....Want to try a top 10 Dylan in no particular order? I'll start:
TUIB
Like A Rolling Stone(I think that's my personal favorite)
Just Like Tom Thumb Blues
It's All Over Now Baby Blue
My Back Pages
Positively 4th Street
Gotta Serve Somebody
All Along The Watchtower(but the Hendrix version)
Just Like A Woman
I Want You

Just a sidenote, I never understood why "Blowing In The Wind" became associated with the protest movement, although "It's A Hard Rain Gonna Fall" makes much more sense in that context. Oh...and I left out "stuck In Side Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again." I have no idea what that song means...love it, though!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Ps...Just want to add that I don't think he ever had a #1 song on the charts.
Like A Rolling Stone was his highest charter...#2 in August of 1965, and only three other top tens I can think of; Positively 4thSt. #7 in 1965, Rainy Day Women #12 and 35, hit #2 in April of 1966, and Lay Lady Lay, written for his wife Sarah Lowndes, which charted at #7 in 1969. FYI...Tangled Up In Blue only made it to # 31 in March of 1975.
Okay. Mrs. Dick Clark...over and out for now. ;)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Simple Twist Of Fate,
Desolation Row,
Queen Jane Approximately,
Forever Young,
Visions of Johanna

12:05 AM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

And, to change the subject for a second, I am listening to Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" just makes ya feel good all over, and "God Only Knows" has to be one of the top five best love songs EVER.
Okay. I'm going back to diggin those good vibrations....

4:19 AM  
Blogger Karlo said...

I'd love an invite Glen. As for the Dylan list, I'd put Visions of Johanna (although I confess I have no idea what the lyrics mean as a whole) and Suberranean Homesick Blues on top.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Karlo said...

BTW, I've put this site up in this week's leading sites over on Swerve Left.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Trivia question: Who is the man in the brackground of the Bob Dylan video Subterrranean Sick Blues? (famous person)
Also, SHB was actually the first song to chart for Dylan...3 months before Like A Rolling Stone, reaching the 39 position in May of 1965.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Karlo said...

Dylan has an autobiography out now that I half listened to recently. Some of the allusions in his music are mentioned. BTW, I have a question for all of you: Why do you like Dylan? By conventional standards, he can't sing. His lyrics are so subjective sometimes that his songs are a bit like an Ezra Pound poem or a James Joyce novel (i.e., inaccessible). Some of his stuff is awful (he definitely needed an agent to tell him to simply not show up for some concerts). But in spite of these things, he strikes me as a great bard. Why?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

I like him as a songwriter more than anything. In fact, some of my favorite Dead tunes are Dylan covers. Joan Baez certainly did justice to his songs. I have seen him twice in concert and there is still something good about hearing the songwriter do the songs his way.

In addition to being the best poet of our time, he is really a mysterious dude. Everytime we get ready to label him, he becomes something else. I agree that he is not a great singer, but "Blood On The Tracks" is such an awesome album with that dark feeling to it. His voice actually sounds good on it. He also sounded pretty good on the country album he did that featured Lay Lady Lay.

He is just the type of person that folks are drawn to. He is an American original, no doubt.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Glen....you probably know this, but "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" is for Joan, and Baez responded years later with "Diamonds and Rust."

Luna, I have heard that about Lay Lady Lay. That's interesting! Did the engineer do it to get more of a "song" sound instead of a nasal sound from him?
Thanks...S

8:09 PM  
Blogger Karlo said...

Actually, when I say that Dylan can't sing, I mean "according to conventional standards." There is something about Dylan's handling of the words and his imitation of speech patterns that's brilliant.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Same with Jerry. Really good nights and really bad nights.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

And I have seen some of those bad Jerry nights first hand.

10:11 PM  
Blogger John H said...

Some other people who 'can't sing' Neil Young, Tom Waits and Lou Reed. All three justifiably in the pantheon of rock. I'm not sure singing ability matters if you have a 'voice'.

I posted my Dylan favorites under the 'top 10 dylan songs' thread/post.

I'd love to be part of this blog.

John Hutcheson (Salem's Lots)
hutchmo@aol.com

9:48 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

Good points, john

And what about Leonard Cohen?!?

12:38 PM  
Blogger John H said...

Dang, left out one of the four horsemen of the non-singer populace. Cohen certainly belongs in the pantheon, as well.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

'Tower of Song' cracks me up for just that reason!

I was born like this, I had no choice
I was born with the gift of a golden voice


Half the time he even sings that line with a smile on his face.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home