; Tangled Up In Blue: Greetings

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Greetings

I'd like to thank Glen for inviting me to be a part of this site and give a bit of an introduction for myself. I'm one of the liberal visititors to Glen's political site and operate my own such site, Where the Dolphins Play. But this site isn't about politics, it's about music, so let's get to the musical me.

Music has been a major part of my life for as long as I can remember. I probably first began singing in the preschool choir at the church I grew up in. That of course progressed into the childrens' choir (where I had my first experiences with participating in stage musicals), then into youth choir before finally leaving the church. I didn't take any music classes in school until my junior year in high school when I decided to audition and was selected for the show choir. That's when music (as a creator versus a listener) really took off for me. My senior year in high school, my schedule was filled almost exclusively with music, including music theory, show choir, and a new chamber ensemble of the school's "elite singers."

Instrumentally, my experiences were much more limited. Growing up, I always had an interest in instruments but the most I was able to do was teach myself what I could on a little 32 (non-full-sized) key keyboard that my mother had at some point purchased for herself and never learned to play. I desperately wanted piano lessons (but then as a child I also desperately wanted to take karate classes and gymnastics, and no parent can afford, or should, put their child in everything they think they might have an interest in) but never was put in them until my senior year in high school after I announced my intention to get a degree in music when I went off to college.

As I said, I went off to college to get a music degree thinking, at the time, that I would be interested in conducting a high school chorus. As my college years passed I decided that I did not want to teach (be it music or anything else) and briefly considered music therapy (which I still find somewhat fascinating) before scrapping that idea and switching my major from Music Education to General Music. During college I also picked up a few more instruments and now, apart from singing, can play piano and guitar well and have basic (ie. beginner) knowledge of clarinet, trumpet, trombone, and flute. Having graduated with a B.A. in Music, but not sure what to do with it, I'm currently pursuing a second degree (part-time) in graphic design while working as a web designer (I'll be updating this site's template as soon as I get the chance, but bear with me until that point).

As for my tastes in music when I'm being a listener rather than a performer, I'm incredibly eclectic. My CD collection (which numbers more than 200) contains both Mozart and Metallica and just about everything in between. The only genre I've never gotten into is rap. Typically my radio is tuned to light rock stations so that might be what you'll see me post on more than anything else, but who knows. Well, now you know a bit about the musical me. It's great to be a part of this little project, see ya soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

It must be pretty cool to know how to play all of those instruments.

I am with you on the rap thing. To each his own though.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home