; Tangled Up In Blue: Choosing my confessions - musical pleasures probably best left unstated

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Choosing my confessions - musical pleasures probably best left unstated


At my age and position in life, any street cred or vestige of coolness is mostly a wispy memory akin to 45 RPM singles and packs of baseball cards containing cardboardesque bubble gum. With this confession, any hope or dream for returning to coolsville is shot.

I enjoy listening to Enya at work (at least for 10 to 20 minutes at a time).

I think that Kelly Clarkson's 'Since you've been gone' is a great song. I even sing along with the chorus when I'm sure I'm alone and even my dog can't hear me.

I've always loved 'Sugar Sugar' by the Archies, even more than the wonderful cover by Wilson Pickett.

I still think that MMMMM-Bop by the Hanson boys is nearly perfect pop music.

I also sing along with REM's stupidist, cheesiest song ever - 'Shiny Happy People'.

I still own my copy of Iron Butterfly's epic 'Inna Gadda Da Vida', which probably should have been listed as one of the worst songs ever.

I love the Go-Go's song 'Our lips are sealed' despite one of the worst videos ever made to go along with the song. The lip synching is atrocious..

Finally, and now even my dog Sparky is embarrassed by this, the Backstreet Boys, 'Shape of My Heart' has this wonderful chorus that always gets to me.

I'm not sure there are enough rosary beads and Hail Mary's to balance all that out...

4 Comments:

Blogger Aunt B said...

I second that. 'Inna Gadda Da Vida' is awesome. I even dig the Slayer cover.

Anyway, here are my two confessions: 1. I think "Caress Me Down" is the greatest Sublime song ever and I love it, even though such love will get me kicked out of feminism, I'm sure. And 2., though I think Cypress Hill may be the stupidest excuse for a group ever, Los Grandes Exitos is my all-time favorite drive around with the windows down album. This is made even more ridiculous by the fact that I don't know Spanish.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Raizor's Edge said...

RE I also sing along with REM's stupidist, cheesiest song ever - 'Shiny Happy People'.

I thought "We Walk" was REM's stupidest, cheesiest song ever. I like "We Walk" better (they somehow managed to morph "We Walk" into "Behind Closed Doors" when I saw them in 1984).

Anyway, I hang my head as I say that one of my "closet songs" is "Islands in the Stream." Now, please note, I consider this a pop song. I have it in the "pop" section of my iPod.

Other closet favorites include "Undercover Angel" by Alan O'Day, "You're the One that I Want" by Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver, and -- dare I say it -- "Angie Baby" by Helen Reddy.

But I did see Warren Zevon 15 times, so that makes up for my cheesy songs. LOL

12:13 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

John that was a great post. I once saw an interview with Trey Anastasio of Phish, where he stated that his secret love was Top 40 radio. I thought it was kind of cool that he admitted that. Alice Cooper once said that he used to sneak around and listen to the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

I got up in pain at 3 AM in a complete drug haze and thought I'd read this blog for a distraction, and now I have a visual of you singing "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies.

I definitely need more pain medicine now. ;)

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home