; Tangled Up In Blue: Big Spring Jam Huntsville

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Big Spring Jam Huntsville

Last night I traveled down to Huntsville for their annual Big Spring Jam Music Festival. I got there kind of late so I really only had the option to see two bands. The first act I saw was the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Not to anyone's surprise, they put on a great show. The New Orleans based group played everything from Jazz to Dixieland Jazz to 70's style funk. It was awesome.

After that, we had the choice of seeing the O'Jays or Travis Tritt. I reluctantly went to see Tritt, at my friends suggestion. I never have been a big fan of Travis, but I certainly am now. In fact, he put on what is definitely one of the best performances I have seen in a long time. I loved it when he played the old Hank jr tunes "Old Habits" and "Whiskey on Ice, Women On Fire". For a moment there, I was back home in Munford, Al. tearing up those dirt roads and jamming to Hank. He even covered some Waylon, Merle Haggard, and Johnny Cash. He did an awesome rendition of "Folsom Prison Blues". The high point though was the encore, which consisted of about five songs. He came out there and rocked ZZ Top's "La Grange", Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama", Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road", The Georgia Sattellite's "Keep Your Hand's To Yourself", and the Atlanta Rythm Section classic "Homesick".

I was stunned. To be honest with you, I don't listen to a lot of radio country. Most of it just sounds like watered down pop to me. When I listen to country, I usually listen to the old stuff on WSM. You just don't hear a lot of Haggard and Jones on modern country radio anymore. While I don't care much for country that is mixed with pop, I love country that is mixed with rock and this guy really rocked. In that encore, those guys were swapping guitars solos like the Lynyrd Skynyrd boys or Dickie Betts and Warren Haynes. Tritt is not one of those guys who just shakes around with a microphone, he can actually play the guitar and play it well.

What a show. I never would have considered going to see Travis Tritt, but after seeing that show last night, I can't wait to see him again.

7 Comments:

Blogger John H said...

I had always considered Tritt to be just another of those 'hat' acts until I was watching 'My Cousin Vinny' (1992??) and heard this incredibly well-done Southern style rock song (i think it was over the credits, but not sure) that I figured had to be some off-shoot of Skynyrd. When I saw Tritt's name on the song credits, I was stunned.

Later that year, made a music video that included our side garden and fence at the house where we used to live. I've paid attention to him since then and am in full agreement with your assessment. The man CAN rock and he CAN play that guitar.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

I know someone who wanted to go out and party this weekend! ARGH. I would have loved to have gone!

Anyhow, it sounds like it was a great show. I think I would have preferred the O'Jays, though Tritt is good in concert. He's very soulful.

Glad you went and had a good time.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

John, thats cool that part of your house was in one of his videos. I guess that is just part of life in the music city.

Sharon, I would have loved for you to ride down there with me. It is a pretty good hike from Kingston Springs to Huntsville, especially when you are trying to take short cuts when you really shouldn't. I actually would not have went if I had had to buy a ticket. My friend offered me one of the three nights. His wife was going to go the other two nights. I thought about tonight, since Dwight Yoakam, Al Green, and the Black Crowes are going to be there tonight. What sucks and this is what sucks about all of those city festivals, is that they are all playing at the same time.

This is kind of off the subject, but as I was passing the Muscle Shoals exit down there, I thought about doing a post on Muscle Shoals. Lots of good rock and roll was made in the Shoals back in the late 60's and 70's.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Muscle Shoals is so ON topic! One of the best records ever cut, "When a Man Loves A Woman," was cut there. Bob Dylan recorded there. On and on...

And, The Black Crowes! "She never mentions the word addiction, in certain company. yes, she'll tell you she's an orphan, after you meet her family." GREAT lines.

The Rev. Al Green is powerful. His version of "A Change Gonna Come" is inspiring. And he's second only to Marvin Gaye in terms of romance songs.

I could do just fine without Dwight. I never was a fan of his.

10:22 PM  
Blogger John H said...

The Stones recorded several cuts of Sticky Fingers in Muscle Shoals including one of my favorites, 'Sway'.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

Have you ever seen the Stones movie "Gimme Shelter" where they stay at the Muscle Shoals Holiday Inn. I thought that was kind of funny. It showed them cutting Wild Horses there.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I grew up across the river from Muscle Shoals. Jimmy Johnson, the guitarist for the swampers and producer of Skynyrd's "First and Last", was my dad's guitar teacher back in high school. There are tons of great stories about everyone who spent time recording there, but I'm never completely sure which ones are true.

Anyway, I also hope to have some Muscle Shoals posts at some point.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home