; Tangled Up In Blue: Guilty Pleasures

Monday, September 05, 2005

Guilty Pleasures

Music is one of those things that it's very easy to get all gummed up about. When people hit on each other in bars, they like Shostakovich. When they dance around the house in their underwear they like Madonna.

I'm dancing around the house in my underwear, but taking a break to type this. (Still in my underwear. Screw the Pajamas.)

Billy Joel's Glass Houses rocks. Completely. Utterly. Whenever I hear this album I'm 11 and I just got my first REAL ie. Non-fisher price record player. The kind with a radio and casette deck built in. I recorded 6 years of songs off the radio on that thing, all minus the first 3 seconds that it took me to hold down the "record" and "play" buttons together.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

As usualy, your taste is fabulous. I haven't listened to "Glass Houses" in ages. Now I'll have to d/l it from Napster. Thanks.

I saw Joel in concert in 78, and he was outstanding.
I always liked his song "Always A Woman To Me," the best. Well, I like "Big Shot" a lot, too. "Just The Way You Are" is underrated--it's a classic, lovely love song.
Shoot...now I have to d/l Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, too.
Argh.

11:37 PM  
Blogger P. K. Nail said...

It's a shame that Billy Joel is a "guilty pleasure". :( I go through phases where I listen to his greatest hits CD nonstop. "Say Goodbye to Hollywood" has always been my favorite of his. And "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant". And "Uptown Girl". And "Don't Ask Me Why". (stopping now)

8:44 AM  
Blogger John H said...

Uptown Girl. One of those songs that are almost a fool-proof sing-along dance along. I still see the video in my head when I hear this..seeing C. Brinkley strutting around and Joel doing something passably similiar to dancing.

Fun song..

My biggest guilty pleasures are Billy Idol - esp. 'Dancing with Myself', which I enjoy for possibly different reasons than the true domain of the song.

I can't help myself when I hear 'Dancin with Myself'..hundreds of years of church of Christ genes have stilted my dancing ability, but I still give it my best...

1:02 PM  
Blogger Raizor's Edge said...

I confess I list Billy Joel as a "guilty pleasure," but "The Longest Time" is on my list of my 100 favorite songs from the Billboard Hot 100.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home