; Tangled Up In Blue: And When I Get That Feeling, I Want Sexual Healing

Thursday, September 15, 2005

And When I Get That Feeling, I Want Sexual Healing

Romance. What would it be like without music? I've been dating a long long long time, and sometimes I'll forget someone I dated until I hear a song on the radio, and I'll remember exactly whom I was with and what we were doing. Music. Truly the soundtrack of our lives.

So, what songs do you play when you're with that someone special, or, someone who seems pretty special because the right music is playing? What are some of your all time favorite romance songs? Let's try a top ten on this one.

In no particular order, here are mine:

Let's Get It On-Marvin Gaye. His vocal comes in cold and desperate and hot, and only gets steamier as the song progresses. If you're with someone and you're not sure if you want to get romantic or not, and this song comes on, it will tip you over the edge. Of course, a lot of Marvin Gaye songs could apply to this theme.

No Woman No Cry- Bob Marley.(Live version-slow) The rhythm is perfect for love, and the lyrics are profoundly unifying. It's Bob telling his woman everything's gonna be all right, we're fighting this fight together and together we can do anything.

Here, There and Everywhere-Beatles. Paul McCartney at his finest. It's perfect from the simple lyrics contrasted with complex harmonies.

In My Life-Beatles. John Lennon at his finest. I had this song played at both of my weddings and have it in my will to be played at my funeral. Best love song ever written, in my opinion. It's about having many loves, but when he meets "the" love, it's all new to him.

Wonderful Tonight-Eric Clapton. If I'm dancing in my livingroom with a date to that song, well, we'll be more than dancing soon after. Very romantic song.

Crazy-Patsy Cline. While I'll tolerate Willie's version because he wrote it, Patsy's vocal makes every note come alive, and it cuts me to the bone.

Gypsy Woman-The Impressions or Brian Hylands version. Okay. I bet this one is a surprise. It's incredibly romantic.

God Only Knows-Beach Boys. True love and romance and no handcuffs and whips with this one.
One of the all time great love songs EVER written.

Bolero-Ravel. Because I saw the movie "10" and we tried what they tried in the movie and it worked.

When A Man Loves A Woman-Percy Sledge. The raw, pleading vocal rips my heart out. Fabulous belly rubbing music.

So, what are some of your romantic favorites?

17 Comments:

Blogger Kat Coble said...

Highway to Hell...AC/DC "Livin' easy, Lovin' free"

Actually, I kid. But since I've been with the same man for 17 years, any soundtrack to that relationship would just be the soundtrack to my life.

And I'm glad that you agree with my interpretation of No Woman No Cry. Someone (who shall remain nameless) told me that it meant that you shouldn't cry if you don't have a girlfriend. How lame.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Raizor's Edge said...

Ah, Marvin Gaye. I must quote my friend, comedian Tim Wilson, in regard to Marvin Gaye:

"If you can't get laid to Marvin Gaye, you are gay. Marvin Gaye is the greatest R&B singer that ever lived. James Brown can kiss my ass. You know why Marvin Gaye is the greatest R&B singer ever? He sings a song about fish with mercury in their stomach ("Mercy Mercy Me [The Ecology]"). He doesn't once mention baby, booty, honey, love, sex, NOTHING, and women are taking their clothes off to that song as fast as they can get 'em off!"

And you know something? He's right!

As for me, I love Boz Scaggs' "We're All Alone"...and "Harbor Lights"...and "Look What You've Done to Me"...and "Painted Bells"...

5:41 AM  
Blogger melusina said...

Oh, I know its cheesy but I always used to put on Enya.

Other preferred lovemaking music included Dead Can Dance and just about any Bob Marley. Something about that reggae rhythm just worked for me.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Stella said...

If we're talking serious, intimate, emotional stuff...

*Tori Amos - Under the Pink
*The Beatles - Abbey Road
*The Pretenders - Back on the Chain Gang (not an album, I know)

I fell in love for the first time to these. I still can't listen to that Tori record without bawling my eyes out.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a roomate who would bring girls back to the trailer, put on the "Risky Business" soundtrack by Tangerine Dream, and commence to begin some frisky business. I wonder, some fifteen-plus years later, is there a whole group of women out there who have a horny Pavlovian response whenever that movie comes on cable, and they aren't sure why?

9:34 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

"Annies Song"- John Denver

"At Last"- Etta James

"Close Enough To Perfect"- Alabama

"Maybe I'm Amazed"- Paul McCartney

"Shes Got A Way"- Billy Joel

10:05 AM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Katherine...So glad you agree about Bob Marley, as does Melusina. It's the best.
Karen, I LOVE what your friend wrote about Marvin Gaye. So true. He was never trashy, but always so sexy.
Huck...Go with the Reggae. Bob Marley's "Legend" cd. Trust me.
Jill...I agree on Beatles, but sometimes I find Tori a bit depressing...not so romantic. Am I missing something with her? I love Under The Pink, but when I think romance, I don't think of putting her on.
Sarcastro...any woman who gets turned on by Risky Business is...nevermind. No Judgement. ;)
Glen...At Last by Etta! Oh my, what a GREAT song! Great choice. I almost put down "Maybe I'm Amazed," but I already had two Beatles songs.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

Tori can be romantic in a torn, depressed, dysfunctional yet very exposed way. Not that that sounds romantic. I guess there's a time and place for everything. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Also, check out The Mosquitos, Sunshine Barato. A very happy, cute, sweet, awwwwww, I love you kinda record. And it's Brazilian for a little exotic flair.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

Oh...and Nicola Conte, Other Directions if you want to get all jazzy.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

Jill...I love Latin music, and admit I am woefully ignorant about it. I'll definitely check out The Mosquitos. Thanks for the heads up about them.
Is Nicola Conte related to the well known composer Bill Conte?

1:51 PM  
Blogger John H said...

Definitely God only Knows, which may one of the most beautiful rock/pop songs ever written. Pretty much any slow song on the Buena Vista Social Club..even the slow ones have those sinuous rhythms, and Frank Sinatra..anything from those late 1950 albums he did on Reprise.

From my junior high years, a song i still love despite its overwhelmingly nasal quality: A Girl Like You by the Troggs.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

WOW. I haven't heard "A Girl Like You" by the Troggs in ages.

Very nasal on the ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba...

Well, there's a good example of a pretty bad song that just feels good. What ever happened to the Troggs, anyway?

3:52 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

Hmmmm...can't find anything about the relation to Bill, but Other Directions is on the French subsidiary of Blue Note Records. That's the only fun fact that I could come up with on that one.

Keep in mind that The Mosquitos are considered indie pop rock, but they are Brazilian, and they are bad ass.

And the more you read me, the more you'll learn that when I say something is bad ass, it's baaaaad ass.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

Jill,

Sorry. I can't see making love to someone with "Me and a Gun" on the soundtrack.

Call me crazy.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

Dude. That was so Little Earthquakes. We're talking Baker, Baker.

I'll admit to being weird, but I'm not a sicko.

7:54 PM  
Blogger dolphin said...

If you can't get laid to Marvin Gaye, you are gay.

Gay people can get laid to Marvin Gaye just as well. Just thought i'd clear that up.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Raizor's Edge said...

RE Dolphin: Gay people can get laid to Marvin Gaye just as well. Just thought i'd clear that up.

I'm sure Tim knows that, which is why I specifically mentioned his occupation. :)

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home