; Tangled Up In Blue: Drop a Dime in the Box and Play a Song about New Orleans

Monday, September 12, 2005

Drop a Dime in the Box and Play a Song about New Orleans

(The title is a line from "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant" by Billy Joel)

On the way to golf tonight I was thinking about songs set in New Orleans or that mention New Orleans. Three of the songs on my "100 favorite pop" list are such songs.

What are your favorite songs that mention New Orleans?

Mine:
"Heart of the Night" - Poco
"Down in the Quarter" - Poco
"New Orleans Ladies" - LeRoux
"Mississippi" - John Phillips ("dressed herself like a cajun queen in New Orleans, baby, yeah she looked good like a lady")
"Dreams of a Dreamer" - Darrell McCall ("lost my pickup in a card game in New Orleans")

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Down South in New Orleans" The Band
"Basin Street Blues" Louis Prima
"Dixie Flyer" Randy Newman
"New Orleans Wins the War" Randy Newman

7:29 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

Ahhh....Good man, Sar.

Dixie Flyer. One of the best songs ever. I've listened the heck out of that album over the last two weeks. I dearly love Randy Newman, but that is his best album, hands down.

Drinkin' rye whiskey from a flask in the backseat
Tryin' to do like the Gentiles do.

7:57 PM  
Blogger John H said...

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good
Brown sugar just like a young girl should- ah hum oh..
Woo!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

I was thinking about songs that had New Orleans in the lyrics, and one of my favorites is "Dancing In The Streets."

9:26 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

"House of the Rising Sun"

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Land Of Dreams" is a wonderfully uneven record, Kitty. I love the way it starts, and the way it ends, but somewhere in the middle it loses focus and grinds to a crawl. I'd have to say "Masterman and Baby J" is where I hit the 'skip' button.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

I confess.

I hated that song for the longest time. Now I love it. It's the paragon of dumb music, almost unseating the extended kazoo solo on "The Night Chicago Died."

11:07 AM  
Blogger mapgirl said...

There's a great Dire Straits song called "Planet of New Orleans." Mark Knopfler said he wrote it because New Orleans was a place unlike any other, and you kind of forgot you were in America when you were there.
m.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When I Die, Bury Me in New Orleans"
James Talley
"...let the second line pass around a bottle of gin."

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home